I’ve seen a lot of people battle with this fear including people who work day and night with all their might. The common questions asked are, “what if I don’t reach my goals?”,” what if my work fails me?”, “what if I die immediately become successful?” if you happen to be part of these sets of people why don’t u eliminate the “what if” and substitute it with self-motivating remarks?
Before we proceed let’s define success. success is the achievement of one’s short term goals or long term goals. It is also the peak of one’s career.
We, humans, desire success in one area or every area of our lives but it’s almost impossible to elude the fear that accompanies the steps needed to take when we decide to achieve our goals. Atychiphobia: the fear of not becoming successful, has been linked to some root causes which are:
- Imperfection: This is one of the major reasons for atychiphobia. People get worried, scared, and think they won’t succeed when they haven’t perfected things. They disregard anything short of perfections as unacceptable. The thing is, you don’t have to be perfect before you become successful, being successful comes with a lot of imperfections and mistakes. One of the richest women in the world, Rowling, reflects on her early failure: “it is impossible to live without failing at something unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not lived at all_in which case you fail by default”.Can you now see that you don’t have to be perfect before you succeed? 1cor3:7.
- Surrounded by failures: Atychiphobia comes in when you are surrounded by failures. you might have probably seen a lot of people who worked day and night with all their might and didn’t succeed. Their failures shouldn’t be your concern, what should be your concern is the reason they failed(if they have) and the lessons you can learn from their mistakes.
- Spending most time with toxic people: You have a higher risk of suffering from atychiphobia if you spend the most time with people full of negativities, people who tell you can’t when you actually can be the best. Don’t you know that you are the 5 people you spend your time with the most?. The bible even speaks about the choice of friends in the book of Ecclesiastes chapter four verses nine to ten.
- Negative thoughts: Negative thoughts sometimes lead to self-doubt which leads to atychiphobia. When negative thoughts overshadow your mind, you almost forget who you really are and allow the negative thoughts to redefine you. You have to train your mind to be stronger than your emotions and doubts! Proverbs 4:23.
- Judging the future by the present: The fear of not being successful comes in when you judge the future by the present. The truth is; NOBODY HAS THE BIG PICTURE_ only God does! So learn to walk by faith, not by sight.
- Being too eager about the future: This leads to unnecessary fear and worries. ok, I know it’s cool to think about the future but don’t get worried, instead of worrying why don’t you take a deep breath, meditate and go into your world of imaginations and imagine yourself being at the top of your career(and start working hard towards the change you desire). Jeremiah 29:11, Philippians 4:19, matthew6:34.
- Things are not working out as planned: The fear of not being successful comes in when things are not working out as planned. lol, it’s normal, we are humans but it’s better to look for a better way to solve the problem than wasting time worrying about things that did not work out. you only fail when you stop planning.Romans 5:3-5,romans8:28.
- Low self -esteem: This is the root(my opinion) of atychiphobia. you have to believe and be convinced about yourself before people would do so too. you have to believe in yourself strongly and be sure of who you are! Never allow anybody or situations to lower your self-esteem. If you don’t lift yourself up, who will? Remember that: boldness and courage are rewarded. Philippians 4:13,1 Peter 5:7.
- Comparison: This is a stealer of Joy! Once you start comparing yourself with people or a particular person, atychiphobia creeps in. Maybe you’ve seen someone who is a little younger than you are or someone who you were once at the same level who is “successful” then you begin to think you are a failure and you start asking yourself unnecessary questions, my dear friend you don’t need it. Don’t you know you are unique? don’t you know that you are special? Comparison brings no good fruits, face your journey with joy and hope, and end your race well!
2 Corinthians 10:12.
- An unhealthy prayer life: The devil attacks people and fills their minds with fear. In the book of first Peter chapter five verses eight, it says” the devil goes about like a roaring lion looking for whom to devour”.can you now see the reason you need to have a stable prayer life?.you have to talk with your God and read His word, it is from His word you find peace, joy, hope, and assurance. It is also from God’s words that you receive instructions and directions. Remember you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. 1 Corinthians 3:16(the spirit of God lives in you since His spirit lives you, you can’t fail!), Romans12:2, 2 Corinthians 9:8, Deuteronomy31:6
Here are the names,life failures and successes of people that have failed before becoming successful:
- Sir James Dyson: He had 5,126 failed prototypes over the course of 15 years before creating the best selling vacuum that led to a net worth of about 4.8 billion $. He saw failure as an opportunity to become better .
- Steven Spielberg: He was rejected twice by the University of Southern California’s school of cinematic arts and now his cinematic output has grossed more than 9 billion $ and brought him three academic awards. Don’t be surprised if I tell you the school that rejected him built a building in honour of him.can you now see that you have to believe in yourself before people can believe in you.
- Albert Einstein: He didn’t start speaking until he was four, reading until he was seven and was thought to be mentally handicapped. He went on to win a Nobel Prize and altered the world’s approach to physics. His name is synonymous with intelligence .
- Theodor Seuss Geisel: The much-loved children author had his first book rejected by 27 different publishers, his books that were rejected by these publishers went on to sell more than 600 million copies worldwide..isn’t that cool?
- Steven king: The mega novelist had his first book carrie rejected 30 times. Out of frustration, King dumped the book in the trash bin. His wife implored him to resubmit it which lead to his first book deal and spawned his illustrious career.
- Micheal Jordan: The basketball G.O.A.T has was cut off from his high school team. Six championships and five MVPs later, Jordan became the greatest basketball player of all time.He famously said: “I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game-winning shot, and I missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”Be like Jordan, see Success in failure.
The similar attributes among the people mentioned above are that they never gave up, they never stopped trying, and they kept seeing what people didn’t see in them.
Are you struggling with atychiphobia?
If yes, allow God to take charge, trust Him with all your heart, meditate on His promises… Psalm5:6-7,2 Timothy 1:7, Philippians 4:19. Also remember to:
- Surround yourself with positive people
- Don’t be afraid of failure, learn from it instead but don’t fail intentionally .
- Stop trying to be perfect, be diligent and consistent instead
- Be conscious of the fact that it takes pain, perseverance and commitment to grow
- Think and act like a successful person
- Explore and never stop learning about your dreams and yourself.
- Believe strongly in yourself.Know who you are in Christ Jesus
- Get rid of negative thoughts by meditating on the infallible word of God and confessing His unshakable promises
- Speak what you want to see or experience in your life.
- Pray to God and TRUST Him with all your heart-. Remember; Jesus became poor so you might become rich(1cor9:8)
A great man of God once said ,” Do not forget in the dark what God told you in the light“ .Failure isn’t in your DNA, even the DNA looks like the letter S!
you talk so much about Success but do you pray and work as much as you speak about it?
PS: All images belong to pexels